This polar vortex has us anxious for the spring. In the meantime…we asked our staff for 10 ideas for beating cabin fever in NYC:
1. Indoor trainers + bad TV: Throw your bike in a trainer and get in some cardio activity while you gorge yourself on DVR or Netflix. On a trainer, you’re allowed to watch whatever bad comedy or cheesy action movie you want — the calories burned cancel out any judgment. It’s a rule.
2. Get an upper body workout: Venture out for an indoor climb at Brooklyn Boulders. You’ll develop arm and back muscles you didn’t know you had!
3. Play the ultimate winter sport (according to Hal): Go bowling! Grab your buddies and head to Chelsea Piers or Brooklyn Bowl.
4. Build strength and flexibility: Come take yoga with Kristen in Soho on Wednesday nights.
5. Bundle up and work those lateral glutes: Go ice skating at Prospect Park’s new ice rink. You get to wear a bulky winter sweater and act like a kid again.
6. Use those abs: Reserve $5-$10 tickets to a UCB improv show. Lots of celebs make impromptu appearances. Laughter is the best workout.
7. Spin with others: Can’t find the motivation to ride your trainer at home? Join our Sunday morning indoor trainer class at the Park Slope store. Fellowship, electropop, and sweat — a perfect Sunday combination!
8. Make an adventure: Take MetroNorth for a car-free escape from the concrete.
9. If you’re into performance sports: Sing your heart out, go karaoke in Koreatown. A great way to let off steam.
10. Bar or boutique hop… by Citibike! No need to bring a lock, just a helmet.
We’re all in this together. Only a few more weeks until we’re back outside and enjoying warmer days.
Any other great NYC antidotes to cabin fever? We welcome your suggestions in the tips below.