Today is the first day of fall – and one of the loveliest times to ride in NYC.
Not sure how or where to go? We’ve got a few reasons and ways for you to get out there.
- Moving Planet Day: Join us tomorrow for this ride to rally for moving our planet away from fossil fuels and toward sustainable resources. Begin at our store in Brooklyn to meet and greet, and hear from Charlie McCorkell about how cycling has changed in NYC over the past 30 years. Then, ride with Transportation Alternatives in support of “New Yorkers for Bicycling”. Sign their pledge and exchange it for a free coffee or cupcake at Soho’s green bakery, the Little Cupcake Bakeshop. And end at the UN for 350.org’s international Moving Planet Day rally.
> More info: Facebook.com/bicyclehabitat
- Get Dirty night: This evening, 9/29, is a celebration of off-road cycling. If you’re interested in getting into trail riding or experienced in singletrack, there will be something for everyone. We’ll discuss where you can ride in NYC, what cyclocross and mountain bike gear are most helpful to your riding, and then introduce you to some folks who can help you get connected. Plus, beer and pizza and even a short flick. Register early, though – we expect to sell out.
> More info: http://dirtyfall.eventbrite.com/
- Movie screening – for a good cause: Pro rider and Leadville 100 champ Rebecca Rusch has organized a national tour to raise money, this time for trail non-profit groups IMBA and NYC MTB. On October 7th, we’re co-hosting the only New York City stop of “Race Across the Sky 2010”, in the swanky private screening room at the Crosby Hotel here in Soho. Complimentary snacks and drinks, plus a Q&A with Rebecca. Sponsored by us, Red Bull and SRAM.
> More info: http://raceacrossthesky.eventbrite.com/
- Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day: Got kids? Take them on the trails. It’s free, and guided (so you don’t have to ride if you don’t want to!) Hosted by Trips for Kids NYC, rides occur October 1st in Cunningham Park, in Queens.
> More info: http://takeakidmtbnyc.eventbrite.com/
- Women’s mountain bike rides: Riding can be intimidating. And finding trails can be a challenge. SRAM and Specialized are hosting a women-only MTB demo rides, for free, here in Manhattan on October 8th. Did we mention, free?
> More info: http://womensmtb2011-eorg.eventbrite.com/
P.S. Perhaps you’re on the other side, and you have TOO MUCH bike stuff going on? : On October 16th (11a-3p), we’re hosting another trade-in with our friends at Recycle-A-Bicycle. Bring in your bike or bike parts – in any condition – to our Brooklyn shop and get $50 off a new bicycle ($100 off a road bike) or 20% off any item in our store. All bikes will be received by and donated to NYC’s own Recycle-A-Bicycle.